SOS: Save Our Skin (From Summertime Woes)
The sun is out and about and, if you live in California (like I do!), it is a a pretty heat-heavy time of year. And though you might enjoy the feeling of basking in the sun's rays, your skin might not be such a huge fan.
On that note, here are a some assorted tips to help you protect the skin you're in.
1. The skin on your lips is highly sensitive and can dry out from too much sun exposure. Remember to bring your trusty lip balm—with sunscreen in its ingredients list—whenever you go out.
2. When it’s already so hot outside, taking warm showers can really dry your skin and can even cause acne breakouts. Taking cool showers will prevent all this, and will, of course, feel very refreshing.
3. No matter what you do, your skin will most probably dry out through the course of the summer. To remedy this, you can use a scrub on your skin before showering to exfoliate! Your skin will feel soft and rejuvenated. But don't get too overzealous; every other day is plenty, as Jamelia explained in Skincare Routines: Why You Need One.
4. Fruits like watermelon and cantaloupe are rich in antioxidants which is why you should be snacking on them all season long. Good for your body and for your skin.
5. DON'T scratch your bug bites! If they look and feel terrible, use a hydrocortisone anti-itch cream, but no itching allowed, lovelies.
6. Protect your eyes and the skin around them from the rays by wearing sunglasses and remember to wash them because the sweat buildup on them can clog your pores.
7. The sun affects the skin on your face differently from the rest of your body, such as on your hands and face, which is why opting for specialized sunscreens for these areas is a MUST. Speaking of sunscreen, check out these Mineral Sunscreens To Try This Summer
8. Do you get red, peeling, painful sunburns? Make a mask out of plain yogurt or aloe vera and apply it to the affected areas for about 30 minutes for soothing relief.
9. A wide-brimmed hat will protect your hair, face, neck and eyes, so definitely pick one up! There are sooooo many adorable options out there, so no need to come up with an excuse.
10. Last but not least, remember to always drink water! Like, LOTS of water.
There you go!